Doesn't it look great? It's so intricate - yet, somewhat simple at the same time. I love these blocky shapes, but they're so organic at the same time.Ever since someone in my Graphics class introduced me to the half Finnish illustrator's work, it has popped up many other times over the year or two.
In the [overpriced, yet very high quality] grafik magazine 175, she describes herself as "simplistic in form but certainly not minimalist" and you can see this.

Oh, how I wish I could own one of her beautiful prints...but of course, money is an issue.

But it's not just 2D work she does, in her little online shop she sells 'Soul Birds' and she describes them like so:
'In Karelia there was an ancient belief in the Sielulintu or Soul bird. The Sielulintu was thought to deliver the soul to newborn babies and also to transport the soul to the afterlife at the moment of death. It was believed the Sielulintu protected a persons soul at it's most vulnerable; when dreaming, and it was tradition to keep a carved wooden bird by the bedside to keep the soul safe during sleep.'

They are so beautiful, aren't they?
I'm considering buying one for my mum for her birthday because she likes these charming objects that are associated with nature. £75 just for the small one in the foreground though...ooer...
I guess you're buying quality. And for the artwork.
You'll find more of her work at her website.
No comments:
Post a Comment